As overall online viewing continues to, so has consumer willingness to pay a premium for content according a new study from Vimeo, “Online Video Viewing and Purchasing.” The research examines consumption habits of online video viewers today as compared with a year ago to provide insights into the purchasing habits of digital video content viewers in an effort to help filmmakers market and sell their work more effectively.
Among the nine key insights provided:
- People are spending more money on online video than they were a year ago.
- Viewers will pay double or more for longer form content as compared with shorter form content.
- Having both Buy and Rent options is optimal.
- Niche content is worth a premium.
- Ad-free viewing is also worth a premium.
Vimeo, which conducts studies in order to provide best-practices to the community of filmmakers who sell their work on the Vimeo on Demand platform, worked with independent international research consultancy Latitude to produce the study, which surveyed more than 1,000 people in the U.S. ages 18 to 54 who self-reported as online video viewers.