While it has been widely speculated that a “fat finger” problem exists in mobile advertising, new research from Retale confirms that many clicks on mobile banner ads may be accidental due to finger scrolling on devices with small screens. The study, polling 500 adult mobile users across the U.S. between January 18-25, 2016, focused on several aspects of mobile banner ad engagement, from accidental clicks to perceived overall value.
Among Retale’s findings:
- 66% of users say mobile banner ads have little to no value
- 65% encounter ads while checking the news
- 50% encounter ads while using social media
- 68% think accidental clicks are “annoying”
- 66% say mobile banner ads have little to no value