PubMatic’s first ever Quarterly Mobile Index report (Q3 2015) establishes a baseline of benchmarks for mobile advertising performance around pricing, volume and growth. PubMatic analyzed the billions of daily impressions that flow through its platform to observe real-time developments in the mobile space that allude to broader digital industry trends.
Five key trends emerge in this report, specifically:
- Mobile CPMs are higher and growing faster than desktop CPMs
- Significant growth opportunity lies in the Asia-Pacific (APAC) and Latin America (LATAM) regions, while sheer scale makes mature markets—North America and Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA)—highly attractive
- Apple app ads are increasing fastest in both price and volume, while mobile web inventory is still growing
- Mobile optimization (i.e. developing mobile-friendly or “responsively-designed” sites that adapt to mobile viewing) is progressing rapidly and improving mobile web inventory quality
- Private marketplace (PMP) CPMs are higher than non-PMP CPMs, by a factor of 5-6x for mobile PMP and 3-4x for desktop PMP
According to PubMatic, mobile monetization is increasing and improving, driving growth within digital media organizations across all regions, globally. In particular, high-impact mobile formats, such as video and rich media, will help publishers and advertisers continue to both grow revenues and command higher CPMs.