The teams at trusted media brands wake up every day and create content people love, products that serve them well, and safe and valuable advertising environments—all while maintaining the high level of ethics and professional standards that benefit viewers, readers, listeners, and a healthy marketplace. As we turn toward 2019, it is a good time to reflect on top-of-mind trends. Here are four important shifts happening in digital media right now—all of which play into the strengths of trusted media brands.Continue reading »
2019 will be the year of app retention. Here’s how machine learning can help make marketing human again.
Ten years into the iPhone and global App Economy and all the rules have changed. For nearly a decade, app makers focused on downloads and installs, the lower-funnel activity that powered staggering growth in the early days of the app store. Now, this focus has shifted due to a dawning realization that sustainable success requires a strategy that drives engagement and activity deeper into the funnel. The focus has rightly shifted to retention.Continue reading »
Online, the geographic borders of information and e-commerce are blurred. But as a digital publisher, if you’re serving ads to audiences in the US, Canada, or the European Economic Area, it’s essential to be aware of regional privacy and data collection, processing, and disclosure laws, and how each change with different countries.Continue reading »
Meet innovators transforming media, technology & society at IGNITION Business Insider’s flagship IGNITION conference includes media industry headliners Darren Laybourn (Microsoft News), Gordon Crovitz (NewsGuard), Janice Min (NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment) and Sir Martin Sorrell (S4Capital Limited). Come away with actionable insights for your own critical decision-making, new contacts, and ideas thanks to IGNITION’s next-level networking. Join us December 3-4 in New York City. DCN members save $1,000 (25% off) with code IGN18DCN.
Consumer engagement is a critical component of news publishers’ direct to consumer revenue strategies. According to the International News Media Association’s new report, Unpacking the Reader-Subscriber Lifetime Customer Journey, every publisher component—from content to membership programs and e-newsletters—must reflect a strong and unified value proposition to consumers in order to be habit-forming.Continue reading »
Here are some of the best media stories our team has read so far this week:
- Buzzfeed | 8 People Are Facing Charges As A Result Of The FBI’s Biggest-Ever Ad Fraud Investigation (15 min read)
- Digiday | ‘Generally amoral’: Facebook’s 6 million advertisers will keep it afloat no matter the scandal (4 min read)
- The Wall Street Journal | Amazon, With Little Fanfare, Emerges as an Advertising Giant (4 min read)
- Bloomberg | Facebook’s Zuckerberg Ducks U.K. Fake News Hearing (7 min view)
- CNN | UK lawmaker hopes to publish secret Facebook documents within a week (7 min read)
- Vanity Fair | The Miseducation of Sheryl Sandberg (11 min read)
- The New York Times | Can Laurene Powell Jobs Save Storytelling? (5 min read)
- Recode | Memo from a ‘Facebook nation’ to Mark Zuckerberg: You moved fast and broke our country. (1h listen)
- Digiday | BuzzFeed’s Craig Silverman: Digital advertising’s infrastructure has been weaponized (35 min listen)